It’s that time of year
As the holiday season approaches, it’s time to embrace the spirit of giving and generosity. One prominent date on the philanthropic calendar is Giving Tuesday, an annual event that encourages people worldwide to come together and make a positive impact in their communities and beyond. In this blog, we will explore what Giving Tuesday is, when it occurs, and provide you with some highly effective last-minute strategies to make the most of this charitable day.
- Giving Tuesday is a global movement that was created in response to the consumer-driven shopping frenzy of Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
- Falling on the first Tuesday after Thanksgiving each year, Giving Tuesday serves as a day dedicated to charitable giving
- Maximize the visibility of your Giving Tuesday efforts by incorporating highly searched keywords into your campaign materials and social media posts
- We brainstormed for you and came up with 10 strategies the you can easily add into your Giving Tuesday campaigns.
What is Giving Tuesday?
Giving Tuesday is a global movement that was created in response to the consumer-driven shopping frenzy of Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Falling on the first Tuesday after Thanksgiving each year, Giving Tuesday serves as a day dedicated to charitable giving, volunteering, and promoting the spirit of generosity.
This movement was established in 2012 by the 92nd Street Y in partnership with the United Nations Foundation. Since its inception, Giving Tuesday has gained immense popularity and has grown into a worldwide phenomenon. It harnesses the power of social media and the generosity of individuals, organizations, and businesses to support various causes, nonprofits, and community projects.
When is Giving Tuesday?
Giving Tuesday always occurs on the Tuesday following Thanksgiving in the United States, which means the date varies from year to year. To provide you with the most up-to-date information, here are the upcoming dates for Giving Tuesday:
2023: November 28th
2024: December 3rd
2025: December 2nd
Mark your calendars to ensure you don’t miss out on this opportunity to make a difference.
Highly Searched Keywords
To help you maximize the visibility of your Giving Tuesday efforts, here are some highly searched keywords to consider incorporating into your campaign materials and social media posts:
- Giving Tuesday
- Charitable giving
- Volunteer opportunities
- Giving back
- Make a difference
- Community support
Last-Minute Giving Tuesday Strategies
Now that you have a better understanding of what Giving Tuesday is and when it occurs, let’s delve into some last-minute strategies to ensure your participation is impactful and meaningful:
- Leverage Social Media: Social media is one of the most powerful tools for promoting Giving Tuesday campaigns. Craft engaging posts, use compelling visuals, and incorporate the hashtags #GivingTuesday and #Donate to reach a broader audience. Share stories about the impact of donations on your cause and encourage followers to share your posts.
- Email Marketing: Send out a heartfelt email to your subscribers, highlighting the significance of Giving Tuesday and your organization’s participation. Include a direct link to your donation page and share success stories to inspire generosity.
- Create Urgency: Emphasize the limited timeframe of Giving Tuesday to encourage immediate action. Use phrases like “Act now,” “Don’t miss out,” and “Only one day left” to create a sense of urgency in your communications.
- Collaborate with Influencers: Partner with social media influencers or local celebrities who support your cause. They can help amplify your message and reach a wider audience.
- Matching Gifts: Consider arranging a matching gift campaign where a generous donor or a business pledges to match donations up to a certain amount. This incentive can motivate others to give and double the impact of their contributions.
- Tell Compelling Stories: Share stories of individuals or communities positively affected by your organization’s work. Personal anecdotes and testimonials can resonate deeply with potential donors and inspire them to contribute.
- Mobile-Friendly Donation Page: Ensure that your website’s donation page is mobile-friendly and easy to navigate. Many people access websites through their smartphones, so a responsive design is crucial for a seamless giving experience.
- Host a Virtual Event: If you have the resources, consider hosting a virtual event or livestream on Giving Tuesday. Use platforms like Zoom or Facebook Live to connect with your supporters in real-time, share updates on your organization’s work, and answer questions. (Check out our blog,
- Share Impact Metrics: Provide transparency by sharing how donations will be used and the impact they will have. Clearly articulate your organization’s goals and how each contribution helps achieve them.
- Thank Your Donors: After Giving Tuesday, don’t forget to express your gratitude to all donors, big or small. Send personalized thank-you emails or messages to acknowledge their support and update them on the progress of your initiatives.
Generosity Makes a Difference
Giving Tuesday is an excellent opportunity to harness the collective power of generosity and make a difference in the world. By utilizing these last-minute strategies and incorporating highly searched keywords into your campaign, you can increase your organization’s visibility, engage donors, and leave a lasting impact on the causes you care about. Remember that it’s never too late to join the Giving Tuesday movement and contribute to the betterment of your community and the world at large.
And while we agree that some of these tactics can be completed in-house, we are here to help you implement the best strategies tailored to your nonprofit’s needs, by bringing our 10+ years of experience to you! For more information on how PGM can help you, contact us at [email protected], or reach out to your dedicated account manager.
If you are a nonprofit organization who is interested in the many ways PGM can help you fulfill YOUR mission, please contact us at 630.686.2600 or email [email protected]. We are excited for the possibility of joining your team!